Saturday, January 2, 2021

                   WHEN YOU LOOK AT ME

When you look at me, what do you see?
A human pretending to be alive
A day that is yet to dawn
A tomorrow that is not possible
A hope that cannot come to pass?


What do you see?
A damaged shrub flailing with exposed roots
A smoking stubble pulled out of the fireplace
A broken body clinging to a dashed dream
A wave tossed about and crashing aimlessly?


Mother gave herself for me
Father toiled hard but never left
Neighbours and friends gave food and care,
And their time, their tears, even prayers
To see that I, a communal child, do well


All this investment made in human capital
In an economy that eats seeds it should plant
Now, broken and left without any chance
And used to the sameness of failed things
I have forgotten how to fight, or even cry


So, I ask again
What do you see when you look at me?
A broken, pieceful me?

No comments:

Post a Comment